Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Dollar Tree Spring Door Decor

It is now our official third link party post as mentioned here.  I showed you my Spring inspired mantle first up in this post and Kim showed you her awesome "Springy" bookcase makeover for this link party post
So today I'm delving into 'Spring Door Decor' for Rhoda's Spring Fling Party.  I actually made this wreath last year and hung it inside but I felt that it needed to be displayed outside for the world my neighbors to see.  I've even made different variations of this for friends and family as it is such a (ahem, cheap) and special gift.  It is great because pretty much everything is from the Dollar Store or you can probably find it around your house.
I bought one of those wooden wreaths that you can get at the Dollar Store.  It looks like this:

To jazz it up I took some light tan yarn and a hot glue gun and went to town while I watched TV.  I put a small dab of glue on the back of the wreath and started the yarn there.  I simply just wrapped the yarn over and over and over again all throughout the wreath.  I would put a dab of glue every now and then to make sure that the yarn was secure and that it would stay.  This did take a long time to do but it really wasn't bad to do while catching up on the DVR.
I used fake flowers from the Dollar Tree as well as different buttons that I had on hand that were bright spring colors.  I put hot glue on the center of one of the flowers and wound twine in a spiral to give the center of my "flower" some texture.  I glued a button in the middle of the orange Dollar Tree flower for some spunk.
I had seen on various blogs that people had wrapped twigs in yarn and I thought that was a spectacular idea.  So I just grabbed some twigs from the yard and used the same technique as above but with green yarn. 
Finally, I glued everything to the wreath and got out some fun, spring-looking ribbon to tie it to the door knocker.  I love how fresh and youthful the wreath looks.  And I love how it cost me around $3 (thank you Dollar Tree!).  Thanks for stopping by if you're joining from the party.  And if not, don't forget to head over to Rhoda's for more door decor fun.  Happy Spring!!

We're also linked to:

3 comments:

  1. Oh my, take a bow!

    You've put a "spring" in my step with your creative loveliness.

    Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you much! I think it is the perfect time of year for these crafts:)

      Delete
  2. SO cute and sweet! I hope you will share this starting tonight at The CSI Project, The challenge is Spring Vignettes and Decor. That includes Easter. It will be a great party!!! Lots of inspiration.
    www.thecsiproject.com

    hugs,
    Dee, the CSI Girl

    ReplyDelete