Wednesday, March 21, 2012

LumberJack & Jill are getting hitched!

Look at the happy couple!  This is Todd & Angie...they are two of the best friends that Ben & I could have.  Ben is going to be a groomsman and I will be a bridesmaid in their upcoming wedding this May!
We threw a LumberJack & Jill couples shower with our friends Heather and Rob for this adorable couple this past weekend and I believe it was a success!
We decided we wanted a laid back shower for these two where we could play lots of yard games.  We chose Ben's parents house as the location since it can accommodate a lot of people and it is situated on a pond which makes a beautiful outdoors backdrop.  They also have horseshoe pits and plenty of lawn for all of our games so it was a perfect place.  And with March Madness going on and us being from NC....it was nice to have a TV and fireplace outside to catch the basketball games during the shower.
Everyone dressed the part of a lumberjack/jill and it was fun since we were in casual clothes to play our games...
Our main drink station was fresh squeezed drinks (fresh squeezed oranges & vodka) and then tea for those not drinking.  We put them in the dispensers and added fresh cut oranges and lemons to classy them up (since it is a wedding shower).  We placed the orange squeezer on the table for when the drinks ran out so that people could make their own.  Angie & Todd were first introduced to these drinks with Ben & I at the beach and he bought her a squeezer for her birthday right after that.  So I thought it was fitting to include these drinks for them.
I used mason jars that had the chalkboard labels on them and they were such a hit.  I set them up with the same quote that Kim had I used at our hoedown party.  Everyone looked so rugged drinking out of mason jars all night.
Heather & Rob purchased a keg since we were having a large crowd.  This was easier than us buying individual beers as it was cheaper and our crowd knows how to drink.  I made a sign out of scrapbook letters saying "Pints 'N Loggers" for our drink stations.  Pun intended.  Cheesy, I know.  It's a shower for gosh sakes.
We had everyone put their presents in this cute little wagon that Kim has had in her house.  I stole a couple things from her that were too darn cute and fit our theme.  I placed these next to their chairs and put a sign so everyone knew where to put their gifts.
The chalkboard signs were also reused from our hoedown party and helped everyone know where everything was located.  We tried to use logger terms like "outhouse" and "grub" and "lumberjack games." 
The food table was so appetizing and I love how we set up the display. We put burlap down as the tablecloth and laid down a moss sheet that I purchased at Joann's.  I made the silverware pockets out of Behr paint strips that were tied together with twine.  Heather made the chalkboard menu as well as the yummy baked beans, mac 'n cheese, and fruit salad. It was delicious!
The food was absolutely delicious and we did this in honor of the groom-to-be.  He loves his smoked barbeque so Ben smoked a couple of boston butts and cooked some barbeque chicken on the pig cooker.  I mean, we are from North Carolina!!  This really is an affordable meal for a lot of people as it can feed a ton.
I believe the highlight of the night was the photobooth.  I put up a quilt my great grandmother made and used my Macbook as the picture taker.  I just went into photobooth and people could use this to take pictures in groups. 
We put a sheet out for people to write their emails down if they had their picture taken.  We are going to set up a photo account online and are going to email everyone the password so that they can access all the photos that were taken.
Everyone had tons of fun here and the props were the best.  I grabbed all sorts of lumberjack items like axes, pitchforks, John Deer hats, aprons, and furry hats for everyone to play with.  Notice the stumps that Kim made?  Yep, I stole those too.  This was about lumberjacks after all!  I love looking at all the pictures afterwards!
Heather also orchestrated a really cute version of the "Newlywed Game" for the couple to play.  They couldn't see each other's answers and wrote on chalkboard frames I made (of course!).  It was really a lot of fun and I'm not really ever one for cheesy shower games.  This one was hilarious.  Especially when they had different answers for "What Todd thought Angie's most annoying habit was" and "What they were most excited about the wedding" -
I believe that Todd was doing a great job at sucking up during this game...
Heather made the favors and they were S'MORES favors to go along with our theme and our dessert (oh yeah we had a S'MORES bar!).  We just wrapped the bags in twine and added cute tags that we printed out that read "Have S'MORE treats as sweet as Todd & Angie's LOVE"  Awwwww....
I must say it was so much fun to do this and Heather and I are pretty excited how it turned out.  What a perfect way to celebrate the love of such good friends.  We're lucky to have them in our lives!
Oh, and muchos gracias to Ben's parents for letting us crash their abode!  We couldn't have done it without their place!

4 comments:

  1. I hate we missed it!!! :( Miss you guys! Hope we can all get together soon! ~Casey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I was super sad you weren't going to be there. Can't wait to see you both very soon. Hope your travels went well over the weekend!

      Delete
  2. Oh wow, that’s super amazing. The party photos are looking just outstanding. At one of the best NYC wedding venues I am also going to tie the knot and we are thinking to have a DIY ceremony so just trying to find out effective but easy inspirations for décor. Could anyone help regarding it?

    ReplyDelete